Christ Church Centre

Our Christ Church Community Centre provides comfortable and versatile space for a variety of activities:

  • The Hall with wood flooring is suitable for functions of up to 80 people.
  • The Thompson Room is a smaller meeting room for groups of up to 25.
  • The Hunter Room and Fison Room provide smaller accommodation for children’s groups and committees.

There is a fully equipped kitchen, the whole building is disabled-friendly, and the Parish Office is also on site.

Between the Centre and the church, a small courtyard provides another gathering space.

The Hall, Hunter Room and Fison Room are available for hire for community groups and parties. Contact the parish office on 01737 821371

Groups who use Christ Church Centre on a regular basis:

Choral Society: Mondays at 20.00: Pete Davies, 07962 400234

Adult Ballet: Tuesdays at 09.45 - 10.45: Sally Barraclough, 01737 241719

Extend Exercise: Tuesdays at 11.00: Debbie Brown, 01737 769373

Sequence Dancing: Tuesdays at 14.15: Veronica & Peter Hill, 01737 823285

Wine Club: First Tuesday each month at 20.00: Isobel Taylor, 01737 823462

Teens Yoga (girls only): Weds 17.00: Sally Harper, 07964 841797

Yoga (All levels welcome): Weds 20.00: Sally Harper, 07964 841797

Toddler Group: Thursdays at 09.30: Sue Lea, 07527 890076

Rainbows Girlguiding: Thursdays at 17.00: Sue Fairclough, 01737 822237

Girlguiding Brownies: Thursdays at 18.15: Roz Robinson: 01737 822182

Pilates: Thursdays at 20.00: Lisa Bayliss 07974 424413

Art Club: Thursdays at 19.45 (Fison Room): Chris Gage, 01737 822559

The Church Building

Before the railway came, South Nutfield was nothing more than a hamlet of 18 or so homes, part of the parish of St Peter and St Paul, Nutfield. But when the station was opened in 1884, building in the area began in earnest. A key developer was the MP, Sir Henry Edwards, who began to buy up land around the station, selling it on as building plots and donating the site for the church.

The project for building the South Nutfield church was taken up by a Mrs Clarissa Woolloton and through her efforts and those of other local donors, the church and adjoining vicarage (never a rectory, despite its current name!) were opened in 1888. The total cost of both buildings was £3,424.

The church was designed by Edward l'Anson and built in an Early English Gothic style, in red brick, with windows and doorways in Bath Stone. It comprises a nave of five bays, chancel, an organ chamber on the south side, a tower sited at the junction of the nave and chancel on the north side with spire covered in wooden shingles.  Adjacent to the tower and parallel with the chancel, a choir vestry was added in 1909, (also by l'Anson).


The interior of the church was reordered in the 1990s when the pews were replaced with chairs and the nave was carpeted. The Christ Church Centre was built in two phases in 2001 and 2004, after a period of intense fundraising by the congregation, in a similar red-brick and pitched roof style to the church.

There is a small churchyard which is not consecrated, and consequently not used for burials, but a small Garden of Remembrance was consecrated in 1987 where ashes may be scattered.

More detailed information can be found in a booklet Christ Church – the First Hundred Years, available via the Parish Office.

Nutfield History Group also provides a great deal of local history information.